Plastic is a cheap, fast-to-make and easy-to-use material. Because of this, however, the global usage of plastic is starting to cause a real problem, as plastic takes hundreds of years to decompose naturally, even thousands with some plastic products. That is why many companies around the world are fighting this issue with alternative materials that take days to decompose instead of years.
Here are 14 great examples of what is being done in this field, and I must say the creativity is really encouraging!
1. This Thai supermarket uses banana leaves instead of plastic to wrap products.
© Perfect Homes Chiangmai at Facebook © Perfect Homes Chiangmai at Facebook
2. Some restaurants use wild grass or pasta to replace plastic straws.
3. While some cafes sell reusable metal straws you can clean and use again.
4. This fascinating package is actually made of agar-agar and water only. It will degrade at the same rate as its contents!
5. Using loofahs instead of kitchen sponges
6. This is the first 100% plastic-free store, recently opened in Slovenia.
7. Making confetti from fallen leaves makes a lot less mess.