Petra Marita Leifsdóttir, a professional photographer who lives among Iceland’s gorgeous landscapes, has recently published a photo series titled “Icelandic Horse” in which she has combined her two big passions: the Icelandic horse and the breathtaking natural beauty of the country.
The Icelandic horse is a very unique breed. Despite their small size, these horses are extremely resilient. The Icelandic horse evolved from a variety of breeds brought to Iceland by Vikings in the past to become one of the purest equine breeds in the world, owing to the geographical isolation of their homeland. Interestingly, for over a millennium, no other horse breed has reached Iceland, adding to the breed’s unique and pure qualities.
Scroll down below to enjoy some beautiful photos of gorgeous horses roaming freely in stunning Icelandic landscapes.
1. Héla In Front of Skógafoss Waterfall
2. The Famous Beach in Vík
3. Red Hills
4. The Stallion Ölnir in Winter Wonderland
5. Úlfur Exploring Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
6. What Freedom Looks Like
9. Héla In The Lupines
10. Midsummer Night
11. The First Snow
12. Authentic Icelandic Landscape at Its Best
13. Unreal Landscapes of Iceland
14. When Life Looks Like a Fairytale
15. Miles to Run and I’m Gonna Run Them All