Being alone and being lonely are two different things.
Loneliness stems from a certain kind of longing for the company of another. However, learning to be alone and enjoy your own company makes you feel truly content.
The mental peace of being truly enough for our own selves is like nothing else. It is difficult to reach the stage of total contentment the first time you try to make it on your own but once you do, life is less complex and you live more freely.
Here are 11 beautiful things you realise when you learn to be on your own and it’s a truly beautiful feeling.
1. You stop thinking about what other people will think and start doing things you want.
It could be signing up for dance classes or changing your career, you take those decisions only for yourself. When you learn how to be alone, you finally start to live for yourself again.
2. One of the first things to happen when you start- being enough for yourself is that you gain focus.
You analyse your life, make goals and plans to reach those goals. You’re not distracted by your environment and manage to focus entirely on your own life. And when you start putting your own self ahead of others, you reach a stage of happiness.
3. Being by yourself will give you the opportunity to judge the people around you better.
You will be able to figure out who are the people who bring positivity to your life and who are the ones you create chaos. This will help you cut out the toxic people and cherish those who lift you up. Eventually, you will only surround yourself by those who truly care for you.
4. You will be able to rejuvenate yourself and charge up your batteries.
You will be able to take care of your health, physical as well as mental. As you listen to the music you want, eat the food you’ve been craving and pamper yourself completely, just the way you like it, you will feel more relaxed and prepared to take on the toughest of battles.
5. There will be a new kind of confidence in yourself instilled when you start liking being by yourself.
You’ll be more confident of the decisions you take and start standing up for yourself. This confidence will reflect in your body language and project you as a strong individual.
6. Enjoying your solitude will help you reconnect with yourself.
You’ll be able to analyse your emotions, personality and mistakes of the past. Doing this will help you accept yourself and also make the improvements that you need for a better future.
7. You value yourself the most and this helps you set healthy boundaries when it comes to letting in people into your life.
You know what you want from other people and when you don’t find reciprocation, you just stop wasting your time and walk away.
8. You will find that you’re happier and more mentally content this way because now, you don’t have the additional mental burden of seeking contentment from someone or something else.
You stop inviting things and people into your life because you’re scared that you’ll get lonely. The whole idea that something is better than nothing goes out of the window and you wait patiently for good things to happen instead of rushing into making bad decisions out of loneliness.
10. You come to the realisation that you’re complete just by yourself.