India has one of the largest armies in the world, and for the longest time it had women only in medical and educational roles. It was in 1992 when the Army opened all its doors for women, and since then, the number of women in the Army has been on the rise. Now, women are offered diverse and lucrative roles in the Armed Forces suggesting that this is probably the best time to join. Read on as we tell you why.
1. Unlike the private sector, there is no disparity in pay.
It’s true. All the officers of the same rank get the same salary. Inconsistency in salaries is still a common problem in several fields elsewhere, but that’s not the case with the Armed Forces.
2. Every officer gets equal opportunity to succeed.
There’s a straight way to rise up the ladder, and everybody has to clear tests at regular intervals. These determine your future, nothing else.
3. Women can now fly fighter planes, and take up other combat roles.
Recently, President Pranab Mukherjee announced that women will be allowed in combat roles, dismissing the longest running debate in the history of the Armed Forces. He said, ‘My government has approved the induction of women as short-service commission officers and as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force. In the future, my government will induct women in all the fighter streams of our armed forces.’ That is certainly progressive, and will make us a part of a handful of countries that allow women in combat roles including New Zealand, Germany, Israel and the United States.
4. The military nursing service is a highly reputed branch of the Army, and a great place to work for women.
It’s literally the department that keeps the army going. This is the department that cures people and takes care of them.
5. In fact, if teaching is your passion the Army Education Core has women employees that are involved in training.
6. All officers, men and women, get to lead and manage massive troops.
Leading a big troop is the best way to imbibe a team spirit and leadership values. The Armed Forces is the avenue that will teach you these skills like no other place in the world.
7. Armed forces are the only government entity where you’re assured a pension on retirement.
Earlier women joined the Army for a short period of time in which pension and other benefits were unavailable. But, in 2010, the Delhi High Court granted women permanent commission in the Army which includes added benefits. Well, that’s good news since your finances even after retirement are secured.
8. The Armed Forces allow you to continue your studies while serving the Army.
Now that’s a win-win for sure. For those of you who want to get another degree or further their career after the Army, the Armed Forces is a great option. You have options to opt for courses, or take a study leave if you wish to.
9. Women leading contingents are making headlines everywhere, so you know the opportunities are spread far and wide.
10. And aren’t the uniforms just classy?
11. The respect you’ll command in and outside the forces will be priceless.
Ladies, are you listening? It’s time to conquer the world!