We’ve all come across toxic people in our lives. They come to us in the form of friends, romantic partners and even some family members. However, we often let their abusive behaviour slide because we’re so close to them emotionally. Some typical characteristics of abusive people includes demeaning others, criticising people and often talking negatively about other people. They are also excellent in creating issues for other people and destroying their mental health. It is exactly because of these emotionally draining reasons that you need to cut them out.
If you’ve been interacting with toxic people but can’t think about cutting them off because of emotional proximity, take a look at all these wonderful things that happen when you get rid of them.
1. You will be able to concentrate on your own needs as your regain your emotional strength. Toxic people usually take up your mental space with their own issues. Cutting them off will help you put yourself first.
2. You’ll realize something very important: that your life will go on without them. It might be difficult to think about cutting off these people because of how close you are with them but once you do it, you’ll realize how much better life seems.
3. It might feel lonely in the beginning but eventually, you will find people who will lift you up instead of pulling you down. Getting rid of toxic people makes space for other, more positive people to enter your life and make it better.
4. You won’t feel so guilty about doing things for your own self and it will feel liberating. Toxic people often pressurize others to only cater to their needs and live life their way. Hence, by cutting off a toxic person, you will take back control of your own life.
5. Toxic people love drama and like to involve people in it, psychotherapist Jodie Gale says. Hence, you’ve been a part of various problems that have essentially been created by toxic people. Avoiding these people will also help you avoid issues and drama.
6. The stress of dealing with abusive individuals can actually affect your brain cells, according to experts from Germany’s Friedrich Schiller University. This happens because toxic people are constantly talking negative and criticizing others, leaving them emotionally stressed. Staying away from such people will reduce your stress levels.