The transition from college life to work life can be a major one given that your life literally changes 360 degrees.
From a child, you go into adulthood with usually only a couple of months in-between. In such a scenario, the transition can be intimidating because we go from the known to the unknown. However, we also carry the pressure of getting it right which only makes the transition tougher. But once you start working, you come to realize that things are very different from what you thought they would be. A lot of positive realizations and a whole lot of disappointing realities make the experience wholesome.
Here are 11 things that happen when you go from the chill college life to work life.
1. You realise the importance of time.
You will miss all the times when you had enough hours on you to chill with friends. Now, when your whole day is going to be spent at office, you will realise how important time is.
2. While it will make you feel proud of where you’ve reached, it will also make you realise that you’ve grown up.
You feel weird but also nice when interns, especially juniors from your college, call you ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’.
3. The first salary is always memorable.
When you get your first salary, you feel that all your time and effort has been worth it.
4. You will automatically surprise yourself by putting yourself on a budget!
But with you finally earning now, you finally know what your parents meant by ‘you will start keeping track of each rupee spent only when you start earning on your own’.
5. A lot of your friendships from college change.
There will be friends who move away without any reason and some of them will hold grudges at you for not showing up for plans without realizing you’re on a tight schedule now. However, this will also be the time you’ll realize who your real friends are.
6. This is the time when you’ll make friends with co-workers.
And realize that the professional world isn’t grumpy people but actually people who, just like you, want to strike a balance between social life and ambition.
7. For the first time, you’re on your own.
You are earning your money, paying your bills, taking care of your health and also managing a social life.While school and college offered you a protective environment, office makes you realize you’re finally an adult who has responsibilities.
8. While college makes you believe that you’re going to change the world, your work life will teach you that your first job isn’t going to be the one which will make you do ground-breaking work.
You will realize the importance of professional experience over novice enthusiasm which helps you plan your career accordingly.
9. While you might have a certain view of how your boss is supposed to be like, you’ll come to realize that it is very different.
Your boss will be your mentor as well as that senior who will use their own life experience to guide you through the professional world.
10. You will come to appreciate your cup of evening tea or coffee even more, especially when you have it after a tough day’s work.
In fact, you will crave it because that’s your cup of comfort.
11. Everything gets better over time.
The transition will seem tough in the beginning but a year into it, you will feel more comfortable in the work life because being on your own might be a whole lot of responsibilities and work but it will also teach you independence and adulting.